Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service Fish and WIldlife Biologist in Hagatna, Guam
As a Fish and WIldlife Biologist you will be responsible for providing biological support on a variety of issues relating to restoration, preservation and conservation of fish and wildlife and their habitats.
This position is being filled under the Pathways Recent Graduates Program that affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Students may apply within one (1) month of meeting their education requirements. Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
Pay advance of up to 2 pay periods (4 weeks) of basic pay based on employee salary at time of hire is authorized for newly appointed federal employees to the federal Service, or employees returning to Federal Service after a break in service of 90 days or more.
For Guam- In addition to salary, 10.99% cost of living allowance and 14.01% post differential (totaling 25%) is authorized. For Hawaii- In addition to salary, 10.99% cost of living allowance is authorized. Detailed salary information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2018/general-schedule/
This position is being filled at the GS-7/9 with a full performance level 11. The Recent Graduates Program lasts for one year. During the first year the selectee will perform developmental activities designed to help him/her acquire the competencies of the target position in which the he/she may be placed upon completion of the program. Participants who successfully complete the Recent Graduates Program may be eligible for conversion to the target position on a permanent or term (more than one to four years in duration) basis without further competition.
Learn more about this agency
- Plans, evaluates, conducts a wide variety of complex ecological investigations or inspections to determine their impact upon fish and/or wildlife resources and habitats
- Reviews and/or prepares biological portions of environment assessment/impact statements or comprehensive resource planning reports to evaluate environmental consequences of proposed actions
- Leads efforts in the development of review and processing of research/recovery permits and other recovery/ESA-related documents in coordination with Federal, Tribal, and state agencies
- Submits recommendations to the supervisor on technical and policy matters regarding application of the ESA for sensitive issues with regard to permits
- Develops comprehensive fish and/or wildlife mitigation or management plans to insure preservation, protection, and enhancement of fish and/or wildlife and their habitat for a geographic area
- Maintains contact and communication with biologists throughout the assigned Region and with other agencies (Federal, Tribal, and state) that have endangered species programs
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
0401 General Natural Resources Management And Biological Sciences
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply)
- Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Hawaii and Guam vacancies require possession of US Passport
- Must meet the eligibility requirements for the Recent Graduate Program. Recent Graduates will enter a formal training program with a mentor and execute an Individual Development Plan outlining training requirements and program expectations.
- Recent Graduates must receive at least 40 hours of formal training directly linked to their employment field.
- Recent Graduates serve a trial period for the duration of their excepted service appointment.
- Recent Graduates will be required to sign a Pathways Recent Graduate Participant Agreement.
- Applicants must provide documentation of completion within the previous 2 years of a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
- Possession of current valid state driver's license is required.
Only experience and education obtained by June 30, 2018 (30 days after closing date) wil be considered.
This General Natural Resources Management and Biological Sciences Job Series, 0401, has a basic education requirement. You must possess one of the following to be considered for this series. A. A full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. NOTE: To be found qualified under this option, you must submit transcripts (official or unofficial) to verify your education. B. A combination of education and experience that consisted of courses equivalent to a major (24 semester hours) in fields such as those shown in response A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. The quality of the combination of education and experience is sufficient to demonstrate that I possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform work in the occupation, and is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with a major in the appropriate field. NOTE: To qualify under this option you must submit transcripts to verify your education and include proof of your experience in the text of your resume.
In addition to meeting at least one of the Basic Qualification Requirements for the 0401 series, you must also meet at least one of the following Qualification Requirements to qualify for this position at the GS-7 grade level. A. One year of full-time equivalent specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal service (GS-5). To meet this requirement, you must have experience performing the following as primary duties: 1) collecting data to carry out less complex studies or portions of larger investigations to assist higher grade biologists in order to determine the impact of various land and water development projects on the fish and wildlife resources of an area; 2) collecting, analyzing, and assessing biological and ecological data; AND 3) assisting in implementing laws (Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act, National Environmental Policy Act), regulations, and policies involving natural resource issues. NOTE: Your resume must contain sufficient information in ALL areas to be found qualified. B. Successful completion of at least one full year of graduate level education (18 semester/27 quarter hours or school equivalent) in a discipline directly related to fish and wildlife biology from an accredited college or university. The quality of the education must demonstrate that the applicant possesses the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the work of the position to be filled. NOTE: Your must submit transcripts that clearly reflect this education C. An equivalent combination of appropriate level work experience (as described in "A" above, Additional Qualifications Requirements) and graduate education (as described in "B" above) that when combined meet the qualification requirements. The quality of the combination of education and experience must demonstrate that the applicant possesses the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the work of the position to be filled. NOTE: Your resume and transcripts must support this experience and education. D. Successful completion of all requirements for a bachelor's degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or a discipline closely related to fish and wildlife biology, AND meets one of the following under the Superior Academic Achievement provisions: A grade point average of B (a GPA of 3.0 or higher) for all completed undergraduate courses, or those completed in the last 2 full years of undergraduate study; or a grade point average of B+ (a GPA of 3.5 or higher) for all courses in your major field of study, or those courses in your major completed in the last two years of undergraduate study; or Rank in the upper one-third of your class in the college, university, or major subdivision; or membership in a national honor society (other than freshman honor societies) recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.
In addition to meeting at least one of the Basic Qualification Requirements for the 0401 series, you must also meet at least one of the following Qualification Requirements to qualify for this position at the GS-9 grade level. A. Have the equivalent of one year of full-time specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the next lower level in the federal service (GS-7). My experience has equipped me with the knowledge, skills, and ability to successfully perform these functions as primary duties: 1) Conducting investigations of moderate complexity to determine the impact of various land and water development projects upon the fish and/or wildlife resources of an area; 2) Assisting in developing comprehensive fish and/or wildlife management plans; 3) Assisting in preparing and reviewing biological implications of environmental assessment/impact statements or comprehensive resource planning reports to evaluate environmental consequences of proposed actions; AND 4) Implementing federal or state environmental laws (i.e., Endangered Species Act, specifically Sections 7 and 10; Clean Water Act; Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act; National nvironmental Policy Act), regulations, and polices involving natural resource issues. My resume clearly demonstrates this. B. Have successfully completed two full years (36 semester/54 quarter hours or school equivalent) of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree in a discipline directly related to fish and wildlife biology, which has equipped me with the knowledge, skills and ability to successfully perform the duties of this position as described. The transcripts I am including with my application verify this. C. In addition to meeting the basic education requirement, I have a combination of specialized experience described in "A" above, PLUS graduate education described in "B" above in excess of 18 semester/27 quarter hours, which is creditable when combined and has equipped me with the knowledge, skills and ability to successfully perform the duties of this position as described. The transcripts and course information I submitted verify my education accomplishments and my resume clearly demonstrates my experience is creditable, and in combination equals 100% of the additional qualifications requirements.
Promotion Potential: This position involves a multi-grade career ladder. The major duties listed represent the full performance level of GS-7/9. At lower grade levels, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence. You will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level of GS-11. Promotion is at the discretion of the supervisor and is contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of higher level work, and availability of funds.The selectee may be promoted without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.
PASS/FAIL COURSES:If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
GRADUATE EDUCATION:One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION:If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- To register or verify your registration go to the Selective Service System at https://www.sss.gov/Home/Verification
- FWS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of ; OR More than one position may be filled from applications received under this announcement in the advertised office or other U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service offices in the local commuting area
- Relocation expenses are not authorized
The following conditions of employment may apply to the advertised positions:
Required to wear Service uniform
State pesticide license
Work schedule may include weekends/holidays/evenings
Extensive travel may be required
Swift water Safety Certification If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=AlternateApplicationInformation.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 showing you were honorably discharged. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must attach an SF-15," Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" in addition to the proof required by that form. Unranked list: Applicants who meet basic eligibility criteria are listed by veterans' preference category: 10 percent or more compensably-disabled veterans, 10-point preference eligible veterans, 5-point preference eligible veterans and non-preference eligible veterans. Agencies must consider the candidates in the highest preference group first. Agencies cannot select nonpreference eligible veterans until the preference eligible veterans are exhausted or the agency has gone through the proper pass over procedures with respect to the remaining preference eligible veterans
§ 302.302 Examination of applicants. (a)Eligibility. An evaluation of the qualifications of applicants for positions covered by this part may be conducted at any time before an appointment is made. The evaluation may involve only determination of eligibility or ineligibility or may include qualitative rating of candidates. If the evaluation involves only basic eligibility numerical scores will not be assigned and eligible candidates will be referred in accordance with the procedures described in paragraph (b)(5) of § 302.304.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the basic qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you meet the basic qualifications your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience which resulted in you being listed in the highest quality category, you may lose consideration, or be assigned to a lower quality category for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Knowledge of applicable Federal environmental laws and Executive Orders
- Knowledge of the habitat and life history requirements of fish and wildlife species to evaluate Federal projects, actions, and programs in relation to their effects on the subject species, wetlands, migrating birds and other trust resources.
- Skill in applying and adapting biological methods, procedures, and techniques and in exercising independent judgment in order to make day-to-day decisions where standard methods and procedures do not apply.
- Skill in evaluating and interpreting biological reports, research papers, environment assessment/impact statements (i.e., NEPA and ESA), and comprehensive resource planning reports to evaluate environmental consequences of proposed actions on Federal fish and wildlife resources of concern; and to apply findings to solve current management problems and accomplish Service objectives.
- Skill in verbal and written communications, including skill in presenting data and its analyses, and to write objective reports requiring a minimum of reviewing and editing. All qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. The category ratings for this position are:
Qualified: Meets minimum qualifications established for the position, but fails to meet the benchmark definition for the Well Qualified category. Well Qualified: Demonstrates overall competency in the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position. Best Qualified: Demonstrates high proficiency and comprehensive level of knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three" but protects the rights of Veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category. Veterans' preference eligibles who meet the basic qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent will be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher).
Background checks and security clearance
Q - Nonsensitive
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume or Application. At a minimum, your resume MUST contain job title (include job series and grade, if federal), duties, starting and ending dates (month and year), hours worked per week, and salary. USAJOBS has a template to ensure a complete resume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YX7o1PBoFk
- Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Official or unofficial College Transcript(s). A copy of your official transcripts will be required if you are selected.
- Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable (e.g., DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service, SF-15 Form and related documentation, VA letter, etc.)
- If applicable, documentation/proof that you are eligible Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
- Review the Appointment Eligibility Criteria: The eligibility section of the application process is designed to allow you to choose how you wish to be considered for this vacancy announcement. You will ONLY be considered for the appointment eligibilities that you selected. You must provide proof of your eligibility as required by appointment eligibility to be considered.
- Resume or Application. At a minimum, your resume MUST contain job title (include job series and grade, if federal), duties, starting and ending dates (month/day/year), hours worked per week, and salary. USAJOBS has a template to ensure a complete resume.
- You must also complete the online application and assessment questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. DEADLINE DATE: A complete application package must be received by 11:59 PM (EST) on 05/31/2018 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is received. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
- You will be considered for all eligibilities for which you select "yes" and submit the required documents and supporting documentation (e.g. DD 214, Schedule A letter, etc.). The supporting documentation you submit will be used to determine your eligibility. Please review the list of documentation provided in the eligibilities language to ensure you provide the appropriate information.
- Please note, your eligibility will be based solely on the selections you have indicated "yes" in this section. You must provide the supporting documentation to support your claim to be considered. You may choose more than one eligibilities in this section.
- To view the assessment questionnaire, click here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10211506 To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
Division of Human Resources Division of Human Resources 2800 Cottage Way Sacramento, CA US
Learn more about this agency
Once you submit all the required documents and the online application in USAJOBS, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After the evaluation process is complete, you will be notified of your status and/or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
You will be notified if this job is filled or canceled. Timelines for this process vary widely.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging in to your USAJobs Account.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499672200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 05/17/2018 to 05/31/2018
Salary: $42,462 to $84,525 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 9
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent